Saturday, August 25, 2012

Embarrassing moments of pre-college life

The embarrassing happenings of BYU freshman orientation days:

1. r(ED) face(ING)- I was trying to be friendly, so when I happened upon a guy waiting at the crosswalk, I decided to say hello. He was kind and told me his name, but I was really tired of asking everyone "What's your name....where are you from....what's your major....." so I decided to take whimsical little break and ask "What's the most interesting thing about yourself?" He looked at me seriously and said "the most interesting thing about myself is that i'm not interested." Now in my head I'm like Should I tell him that I wasn't trying to make a move, I was just trying to be friendly? Could I just start walking faster? The library is still pretty far away but maybe i could make a run for it.... I wasn't trying to flirt...... ---------What he actually said was "The most interesting thing about me is that i'm not interestING" but I had misheard. the awkward silence that followed as he worked out the miscommunication was humiliating. Talk about a red-face moment for both of us. So let this be a lesson to, well--me, to learn the difference between a weird guy and a normal one.....and most importantly between ED and ING.

2. Shower Power- In Helaman halls (where I live), boys aren't allowed in the girls' buildings unless it's Wed/Sunday from 7-9, in the lobby, they're helping her move in, or a special occasion approved by the RA. (Therefore, it is inhabited exclusively by girls on normal days.) It was a normal Tuesday in the middle of the day when I decided to take a quick shower. The hall was a-buzz with girls moving into their dorms and I just wanted to take a quick little break from the madness. I showered and such (la-dee-da), wrapped up in a towel, and went into the hall to get to my room. I FORGOT that since girls were moving in, boys were allowed to help them do so and were in the hall!!!!!! hall. boys. me in a towel. You finish the story. let's just say it will NOT happen again.

3. Oh, you have a little something in your mouth....oh it's just your foot. I don't even want to tell this one because there is no excuse for it. It wasn't a miscommunication or forgetful or anything it was just a little bit of Hope being Hope (which is to not think before you speak.) So I was meeting a bunch of new people and such at the socials and everything, and one of them (I think his name is Conner) introduced himself to me. Obviously, his name didn't make too much of an impression on me because he looks exactly like Spock. you know, from star trek? (the movie) so later in the conversation, I was addressing him and totally called him Spock. Needless to say, we might not be best friends anytime soon.

4. Real conversation- This isn't embarrassing, just a funny conversation i happened to overhear at the BYU library. keep in mind that this content is REAL.

Actual conversation:

Boy 1: So dude, are you dating anyone these days?
Boy 2: naw man, are you?
Boy1 1: no,but  there are so many pretty girls here! they're everywhere!
Boy2: dude, my roommate says he's getting a sore neck from turning to look at all of them.

like I said. Real conversation.

5. the generic awkwardness that is inevitable. Since everyone here is meeting everyone else, and there is no telling who you will see again, or if the right one was Brett and the left one was David or the Right one was David and the left one was Brett, everyone is going around apologizing for not remembering people they previously met. I am at a slight disadvantage here because I have a very unique name, which seems easier for people to remember. I, on the other hand am just trying to keep track of the 12 Emilys and the 24 Rachels. It is not uncommon for me to spend a half hour talking to someone and at the end of the conversation think their name was complacently different. name name go away, com again another day. one fish, two fish, don't-know-you fish.

Oh gosh I can't help but wonder if this is what College is going to be like. Just one big expanded high school of embarrassing moments. This week has just been the preliminary round, I can't even think of the catastrophically embarrassing moments that are to come. A college education and humility all of the low low price of very expensive! can't wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment